Tuesday, September 18, 2007

To the CyberVoid

Dear CyberVoid,

With the encouragement of some dear friends, I have decided to start this blog in order to share my letters.

Why letters, you ask? It really is quite simple. Over the last couple of years I have found that expressing my feelings and thoughts through letters, whether they be to real people or some inanimate object, is much easier for me to do than to, say, describe my thoughts and feelings in an essay or even a blog post. I had never even considered writing letters until my dear friend Kimmy pinged me with one on Y!M. It made me laugh. It was just a "Dear such-and-such, (insert one-liner). Love, Kimmy" sort of thing. While short and simple it sent across her feelings so perfectly that I just had to try it for myself. For years now we've been pinging each other with these short letters. However, about a month ago, I actually posted a longer letter to my LiveJournal. I wasn't feeling well, kind of like how I'm feeling right now, and so I posted the following:

Dear Body,

You are totally kicking my butt. Well, I suppose it is your butt too, but that is beside the point!

Anyway, what is up with the constant fatigue? The headaches? The aches in general? The sore throat is also not cool. I am thinking of trading you in for a younger model. I know we've been together for a long time, but that's just the way things might have to be. I'm tired of being tired. I'm tired of getting a relatively full night's sleep and waking up as if it never happened. Either shape up or be prepared to be dumped by the side of the road.

Sincerely,
Nomes

It was so therapeutic to write and it got a few laughs. Then, last week, I posted this in anticipation of the upcoming seasonal change:

Dear Autumn,

I am SO EXCITED that you are nearly here! While it is true that Christmas is by far my favorite holiday, you, my dear Autumn, are my favorite season! I get thrilled down to the tips of my toes when I start thinking of your coming. And, as you well know, it has been four long years since we have seen each other! I've missed you so much! I cannot wait to see your beautiful colors again, smell your good smells, and feel your coolness on my skin. I'm excited for the holidays that occur during your visit. Halloween is fun, especially with the kids, and Thanksgiving is always a pleasure, especially since we are staying home this year and keeping it VERY simple.

Autumn, my dear, dear Fall, I look forward to seeing you again. Please hurry. I have all manner of decorations that I want to put out around the house, but I need to wait for you. Don't take too long in getting here. We are going to have so much fun together!

Have I mentioned that I've missed you!

Counting down the days,
Nomes

I received quite a lot of positive feedback from that one and some wondered if I had any more letters.

Well, I do. Hence this blog.

(On an aside, don't you just love the word hence? I know that I do!)

I know that by sharing my letters I am opening myself up to you, Void, and to others. But how can we grow unless we stretch ourselves? I do not fancy myself a writer, but I enjoy writing these letters.

There might be others who join us here, Void. I hope that that is all right with you. If others do come across my letters, they can expect all sorts; letters to my children, letters on my feelings, LOTS of "Thank you" notes, letters expressing my political views, or my spirituality, things of that nature. Oh, and they can also expect letters that are rants or just downright silly! It all depends on my mood. Mainly rants and silliness, I think. Anyway, I know that since you are a "void" it is against your inherent nature to really get upset about anything. Others at times, however, might raise their eyebrows or decide that my letters aren't really for them. That is fine with me, because they aren't for them. These letters are for me.

Well, sweet Void, I hope you enjoy my bit of information/data/minutia that you are about to receive. I know that I, for one, will take joy in the giving.

Thanks for the canvas,
Nomes

2 comments:

Bel~ said...

To: Nomes
From: The CyberVoid
Re: Letters

np... i'm here for you, babe.
luv,
Voidy

Tara said...

OK, cool blog. I think I might even add this one to my links list on my blog, it is just super fun to read. Reminds me why I have always liked you so much. :)