Saturday, October 20, 2007

To Exhaustion

Dear Exhaustion,

What is going on? Are you trying to kill me? I have not had a decent night's sleep in, oh, about forever! I have even had to resort to drinking the occasional caffeinated soda to even function. I am most displeased.

Yes, I know that I have a bit of stress, but I'm sure no more than the next person. I know there are many people out there with small children, that there are other people up to their eyeballs in debt (ours is of the student loan variety, as you well know). I know there are other women besides me who are wondering if and when their husbands are going to be called up to go over to Iraq. It is not just I who volunteers, and runs a household, and cares for others. I know there are women who are going through much more than I, and for that reason I am going to defeat you.

I am going to start exercising. I am going to eat right. I am going to go in for a physical. I am going to take time for myself once a week. I am going to do more service. I am going to reserve time each day for spiritual contemplation and meditation. I am going to look at what I can do and not focus on what I can't. I am going to celebrate each day as a gift. I am going to cultivate my sunny attitude. I am going to compile a list of things I am grateful for. I am going to keep courting my husband. I am going to cherish my children.

By doing all of these things and more, I am going to defeat you, Exhaustion. Our time together is limited. You have been warned.

About to kick you to the curb,
Nomes

P.S. You can thank my dear friend Cathy for reminding me how to care for myself. She's got your number!

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Also warm milk and nutmeg before bed is soooo relaxing!

librariane said...

Mmmm. I hear you--I think part of the trick is to not feel guilty for being tired. At least, that's one thing I struggle with, besides needing coffee in the morning. :)