Thursday, July 24, 2008

To a Sleeping Child

Dear Sleeping Child,

As I wait for your older brother to finish his bedtime ritual, I notice you asleep in your bed. I decide to watch you for a moment. You look so peaceful. Your breathing is so soft and it is fun to watch you with your slightly open mouth and your kool-aid mustache leftover from dinner. I notice that you don't suck your thumb while you sleep anymore. That's a good thing, sweet boy. Although, maybe not so good, as it means you are growing up. I wonder what you dreaming about, if you are dreaming at all. Is it about your beloved trains or are you dreaming about playing with your brothers and sister in the morning? You don't stir as I lean over and give you kisses on your forehead, on each of your cheeks, on your hand. You are a dear, sweet boy even when you aren't sleeping and I love you. Thanks for being my son.

Good night,
Mom

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I never get tired of watching CB sleep. It's one of life's most beautiful gifts.